I remember a scene in this book where Mary Anne and Logan are sitting outside of her house because her dad wasn’t home, but that is really all that is coming to me. I mean, I remember the end, that Logan’s sister had Tigger, but none of the real details about it.
This book is really about Logan being an ass. I know the title suggests it is about Tigger, and the stupid cat does disappear, but really, the basic plot is about Logan being an ass. It is not even one of those times where he is a jerk and every one claims he is nice, Mary Anne actually complains about it.
But anyway, the action starts when Mary Anne leaves Tigger outside while she goes to a BSC meeting and he disappears. The BSC helps Mary Anne search, but Logan is all, “what’s the big deal?” Then later, Mary Anne says it is the worst thing that ever happened and he just tells her she’s overreacting. (And okay, he is probably right about that, but he could still be more sympathetic). Then when the neighborhood kids come around to help with the search Logan rolls his eyes and complains about being “overrun with kids.” That is actually kind of funny, but also kind of jerky behavior.
The BSC puts up fliers announcing a fabulous $30 reward. So of course, the only one who pays attention to it is a little kid who pretends he took Tigger. He sends a lame “ransom” note and tries to con Mary Anne out of some cash. The BSC tricks him into confessing, but Mary Anne is really just upset that their only lead didn’t pan out.
Anyway, after several days Mary Anne is sitting for Logan’s siblings and his little brother won’t stop sneezing – then she realizes his sister has been keeping Tigger in her closet. Mary Anne is pissed off, cause she thinks Logan knew the whole time. So, she tells him off and he gets mad. Then she apologizes and Logan says he was a jerk because he has been having trouble with the baseball team and was taking his problems out on her. He doesn’t actually apologize for being a jerk, he just makes excuses. And his bratty little sister doesn’t even get in trouble for catnapping Tigger, because…she only did it because she hasn’t made friends. So the BSC sets up a play date for her with Charolette Johanson.
- In this book, Mary Anne says that her dad and Dawn’s mom both date other people, but I don’t remember her dad ever dating others. Dawn’s mom did, but not Mr. Spier.
- God, I was so Mary Anne as a kid. Her dad has a rule that Logan can’t go in the house when he isn’t home. And even though she knows her dad would never know if Logan did go into the house, she just can’t bring herself to break a rule. It is kind of like when I couldn’t bring myself to put temporary streaks in my hair at summer camp.
- Logan asks Mary Anne why she is so quiet, and she says she is thinking about how her dad treats her like a baby. Logan is all, “Again?” I’m telling you, he is a total dick.
- Charlotte Johanssen says in this book she doesn’t have a pet, but I know she has a dog named Carrot in other books. I am not sure when he first appeared, so maybe it is not a continuity error.
- Poor Hunter Bruno (Logan’s brother). He is not allowed to have anything in his room – no carpet, no curtains, no bedspread, very few toys – all because they want to keep it “dust free.” Have they never heard of allergy medicine? The poor kid.
- According to Kristy there is only one thing to do when you find out someone’s pet is missing. What? Have an emergency meeting of the Baby-Sitters Club. Obviously.
- The BSC makes a flier with pictures of Tigger, and Kristy’s mom goes to her office on a Saturday night to copy them. I know Kinkos was probably not real popular back then, but wasn’t there someplace in town with a copier? The library or something?
- I wonder how many copies/paper Mrs. Thomas has stolen from her company with BSC fliers over the course of the series.
- Claudia draws a picture of Tigger on the flier. But here is the dumb part: Mary Anne gives Claud a photo of Tigger to base the drawing on. But if they have a photo…why not put that on the flier?
- Okay, this is ridiculous. Claudia is impressed that Gabbie and Myriah Perkins can sing an Elvis song. The reason? For years Claud had thought his name was “Elbow Presley.” Elbow isn’t even a real name. WHY would she think that? Claud is so, so very dumb.
- Mary Anne decides that if Logan knew about Tigger being in his sister’s room they “couldn’t be friends anymore.” Good thing it turns out Logan was just a jerk without knowing about where Tigger was. Cause that means she can stay with him.
- Mary Anne actually stands up to Logan temporarily, and tells him off. Then she apologizes for it later. Wimp.