It is so weird what sticks with you. I mean, I can’t remember what I wore last week but I can remember that in this book Mary Anne got her “famous city” skirt. It is embedded it my brain as clear as anything. There are other things in this book that stand out too, like that Logan, aka, the Cam Geary look-alike was introduced and Mary Anne freaked out because at the dance because her shoe flew off while she was dancing and almost hit the principal.
So, the girls start eighth grade for the very first time. But as we all know, certainly not the last. On the first day of school Mary Anne sees Logan, the new boy, and gets a major crush on him. Meanwhile, the BSC does some extra advertising and ends up so busy they can’t handle all the jobs. Luckily for them, it turns out Logan is a baby sitter. He comes to a meeting and goes on a test job with Mary Anne, where they get to act all cute and nervous around each other. But when he is at Claud’s for the meeting, everyone acts all awkward cause Logan is a boy, and you can’t say things like “bra strap” in front of boys. Logan decides not to join the BSC because of the awkward factor, but he asks Mary Anne to a dance. They have fun, they go out again, and go on to become the super couple of the BSC-verse.
At some point, Stacey tries to throw Mary Anne (of all people) a surprise party. Mary Anne runs out because she hates being the center of attention, but they all make up and she and Logan bond even more. Then she gets herself a cat so she won’t have to make new friends if her bitchy friends ever turn on her again (seriously, that is her reasoning). Oh, and they make Logan an associate member to take care of the extra jobs without having to have a boy at the meetings.
- This is the first time Stacey and Claud start eating lunch with Mary Anne and Kristy. Remember in the really early books when they all had separate friends?
- Mary Anne gets a bra in this book. We don’t see the scene, she just talks about going shopping and buying one. It must have been embarrassing to have your dad take you to get your first bra – even if the saleswoman helped her. I wonder what her dad did while the saleswoman was helping her.
- No, Alan Gray didn’t steal the record book to torment Claudia and Kristy. He stole it because he and Trevor something-or-other wanted to ASK THEM OUT. Considering that both girls said yes, I think that makes it the opposite of tormenting.
- I can’t believe Charlotte Johnassen would suggest giving anyone a surprise party. Charlotte makes Mary Anne look outgoing.
- Wow, this outfit is so vivid in my head: “A full white skirt with the words Paris, Rome, and London, and sketchy pink and blue pictures of the Eiffel Tower, the Tower Bridge, and other stuff scrawled over it.” Mary Anne wears it with a pink sweater to the dance, and then later gets a blue shirt to go with it.
- Her outfit is nothing like what anyone else wears to the dance. Which is weird because the BSC helped her pick out the outfit. You would think they would get something similar to what they are wearing.
- Claudia’s dance outfit: “short, tight-fitting black pants and a big white shirt that said BE-BOP all over it in between pictures of rock and roll dancers. She had fixed a floppy blue bow in her hair.”
- Stacey’s dance outfit: “White T-shirt under a hot pink jumpsuit”
- Dawn’s outfit: “Green and white oversized sweater and stretchy green pants.”
- Kristy’s outfit: “A white turtleneck shirt under a pink sweater with jeans.”
- Logan gives her an orange flower, and Mary Anne is worried it clashes with her sweater. BTW, do guys give flowers in eighth grade?
- Dawn and Kristy are talking about whether Mary Anne and Logan will kiss, and Kristy says, “ew”… “Looking disgusted.” I know everyone matures at different times, but still. To be disgusted about kissing at thirteen?
- Mr. Spier thinks about whether Mary Anne can get a cat for a total of two minutes. Because it is not a small decision or anything.
- Dawn eats a piece of Mary Anne’s birthday cake…. then complains about how she just wants to brush her teeth. Dude, if you don’t want any, save it for the people who do.
- Mary Anne doesn’t know how to dance, so she imitates Logan. It is kinda cute, but then the traumatic shoe flying off thing happens. So, she sits on the bleachers and refuses to come down while Logan dances with other people. But he still likes her.
- Want to here what Mary Anne learned in Sea City: “It’s nice to know boy’s are alien’s from the planet Snorzak or something” ….? No they are from Mars.
- Oh, I remember the hanging the picture of Cam Geary in her locker with gum too.
- Mary Anne dresses up when Logan comes to the meeting, including putting on earrings…. but since when does she have pierced ears? Do they mean clip ons?
- The trial job is for Jackie Rodowsky, which is Jackie’s first appearance in the series.
- Has anyone else read the Remembering Super Special? I keep thinking about it, because the Logan chapters basically tell this book from his perspective. It reveals that Logan only offered to help the BSC because he had the hots for Mary Anne. And he couldn’t remember Stacey’s name, even though she acts like know each other in this book.
- I don’t know why, but I always thought of Cam Geary as like 16 or 18, not the same age as the BSC girls. But in this one they mention him being around 14.
- No, Mary Anne. In June you will NOT graduate and go on to high school. I am very sorry to tell you that you will be stuck in 8th grade for almost a decade.